Sonntag, 31. Juli 2016

A HUNDRED PIECES OF ME BY LUCY DILLON


"Letters from the only man she's ever truly loved. 
A keepsake of the father she never really knew. 
A blue glass case that catches the light on a grey day."
Hodder & Stoughton - A hundred pieces of me  

After a traumatic incident, the protagonist, Gina tries to find her new place in life. Her plan involves to keep nothing but her one hundred favourite things and to let go of all the other things she accumulated throughout her life.  

This book is very different from the fantasy genre I usually read. In many ways, one could argue that it's one of those stereotypical women's novels and I wouldn't necessarily object. It's definitely romantic, has its ups and downs, and was exactly what I needed at this point in time.
I'm still struggling being back in Germany and I needed a book that's able to lift me up.
And it did just that: 516 pages of feel-good emotions.
I read this book over the course of 2! days. I just couldn't stop. Just as Milly Johnson states on the book spine: it's a real "just one more chapter before bed" novel.
I'd highly recommend it as a summer read for mid twenty-somethings and more advanced female readers.
I gave it 4 1/2 out of 5 stars 

This is the moment in which you should order the book, devour it, and come back to read the end of this review since it contains spoilers.



First, I gotta admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the book because I'm an utter dog person. I seem to share this characteristic with Lucy Dillon. They seem to play a significant role not only in this novel but in all of her stories and I love it. It makes me happy to think that she could raise awareness for some of the poor destinies that are usually ignored by society.

On another note, the concept of this novel reminded me of the idea of Marie Kondo's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Although I haven't read this book so far, I feel like there are overlaps in how the protagonist in Lucy Dillon's novel asks herself whether an object brings her joy before deciding whether to keep it or not.
But this doesn't have to be necessarily bad, it was just a resemblance I found.

Even though I really enjoyed reading this book immensely, there are parts I think aren't very reader-friendly. I'm talking about the flashbacks in the beginning of each chapter in which we get to know more about the past of Gina. I found them quite distracting in my reading flow and it bothered me that they weren't chronologically. I get that they were supposed to be related to the topic of the regarding chapter but it was more irritating than helpful for me.

Nevertheless, the book definitely motivates to get to grips with one's life and left me with an overall positive feeling à la 'I can achieve anything I want'.

Because never forget: "Where there's cake, there's hope."
Lucy Dillon, A hundred pieces of me

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.