Samstag, 6. Juni 2015

Book Review: Thoughts on Stephanie Perkins "Anna and the French Kiss"

“Is it possible for home to be a person and not a place?” 
― Stephanie PerkinsAnna and the French Kiss
I may or may not have spent the last 24 hours with this book. And I may or may not have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed it. 
Okay, so I knew that I'd have my last exam in university yesterday and decided to treat myself with a book. Thanks to amazon I ordered it the day before, so I won't be tempted to start reading it when I actually should be studying English history. So far, so good. The book has already been delivered when I got home and I decided to immediately start reading a few pages, just to calm down a bit. 

Then there was this really strange thing happening to all the clocks in my house. And the light. Inside as well as outside. Sun said goodbye faster than I could react. I read this book in around 8 hours. And I'm not ashamed. 

The idea to read this book came while reading this blog post by MissGetaway praising the book as one of the best love stories. How could I have missed that? Honestly, I consider myself pretty actively involved in YA books, but I never heard of Anna and the French Kiss and I immediately decided to change that. 

The Paloma Lemonade happened to match colour-wise with the book. I wanted to test it, because I really like the design. Turns out it's just very expensive Fanta. But oh so beautiful. 
The basic story of the book revolves around Anna, Etienne St. Claire and their friends. Anna is a girl from Atlanta that happens to be forced by her parents to study one year in Paris (pretty awful) and meets the beautiful Etienne. Unfortunately, he has a girlfriend and everything gets confusing and complicated. If you're searching for an ambitious, demanding book compelling yourself to think about the meaning of life and the universe, this is not it. But if you're searching for a light, entertaining chic-lit read with a main character that has ALL cliche features of the perfect man that you can think of, go on, read it. 

People on Goodreads seem to have pretty opposed opinions on the book, either they love it or hate it. And I can relate to both sides. I think with this book it really depends on what you're expecting from it. Many of the negative reviews complain about how flat the storyline is. Honestly, you can't buy a book named Anna and the French Kiss and expect an all time classic. Another pattern that I recognized is that mostly guys rated the book low. And in the same movement criticize it of being similar to John Green novels, although with this one there are no cliffhangers. Which brings me to my actual rating of this book and as you know, this is the time to finish reading this review if you're planning on reading the book and being surprised. You're welcome. 


























I really enjoyed the love story between Anna and Etienne and I think there are some really good parts in the story, but I somehow couldn't completely grasp them. Maybe it's because I'm slowly getting older (beware) but at times I thought it was a bit too childish. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the drama, but I think my 16-year-old-self would've loved it. I mean, who doesn't dream of an American with a British accent living in Paris? Right, perfect combination. A little too perfect if you ask me. Sometimes the clichees were just too much. 

Anna is a character I liked most of the time. I could relate to the mistakes she made and the way she's thinking, although sometimes her actions irreproducible, but who's teenager's actions are rational all the time. Guess you get where this thought's going. And this at the same time is one of the points I really liked about the book. I could see myself relating to her even though there wasn't that much drama in my teenage years (lucky me).

All in all it's a very cute love story with a happy ending and therefore just what I needed. It leaves you feeling happy for them and just gets you in this aww mode we all sometimes need in order to relax. 

“For the two of us, home isn't a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.” 
― Stephanie PerkinsAnna and the French Kiss


If you still haven't got enough information about this book, the author has a blog
Did you read the book? And did you enjoy it? Tell me all about it! 
(Any recommendations what I should read next?)

Sincerely, 

Liska  

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Blogger Template designed By The Sunday Studio.